Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Call To Boothbay

In the first week of August the Lord called our family to plant a Calvary Chapel in Boothbay Harbor, Maine. This was much to my surprise as I had no desire to move back into the Boothbay area... Over crowded during the summer with tourists and pretty much only one way off of this particular peninsula.
In April of 2010 the Lord really began to work in my heart. I think I was at a stand still in my walk with the Lord for some time and the Lord used a series of sermons in Romans 10 by a Pastor/ friend of mine in L.A. The Holy Sprit really began to rock my world and confront the issues of idols in my life. It was like I was Born-Again, Again!!

Again, in August of 2010 we were spending the day in Boothbay Harbor and Meredith got a call on her phone and was asked by a friend if she could come play bugle at a funeral on a moments notice (because she is a VERY talented musician and plays just about everything). I think this was really a way for the Lord to have some alone time with me... As I circled the harbor a few times and with Stephen and Jonathan asleep in the back the Lord began to burden my heart, with the people of Boothbay, the Tourists that come from everywhere to this small harbor town during the summer. The Lord began to speak to my heart and tell me that He wanted us to plant a church in Boothbay. My first response was "why me? Also there are so many Churches in this area, what do we need another one for?" The Lord gave to me Romans 10: 14,15
"How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? (15) And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace. Who bring glad tidings of good things." - emphasizing verse 15.
So, I was floored and utterly speechless! I would have never chosen Boothbay myself as I had no previous desire to move back into that region... After Meredith got done with the funeral, of which she didn't even end up playing the Bugle at all, I told her of the calling. Her response was the same as mine. "Why us?
Over the next couple of months I continued to pray and ask for confirmation about this calling. I also asked what type of church He wanted us to plant and Calvary Chapel was what I believed He was putting on my heart. That made sense to me, after all, I got saved in a Calvary Chapel and went to Calvary Chapel Bible College. I was familiar with the way that they do things but I was questioning because we were going to a Baptist Church at the time.
I continued to struggle with the idea of planting the church in the Boothbay area and continued to ask the Lord "Why not this area or an area close by that is more central where there are more people?!" The Lord then gave me Jonah 4:11 "And should I not pity Ninevah, that great city, in whom are more than one hundred and twenty thousand persons who cannot discern their right hand and their left-and much livestock?" My response: "ok Lord, Boothbay it is!!
Since then the Lord has clearly confirmed the calling to Meredith, we left the Baptist Church we were going to and began attending Calvary Chapel in Belfast, ME which is about an hour north of us.
We are starting a prayer meeting on Sunday February 20th for those who are already involved with this Church Plant (There are 8 maybe 10 of us so far).
As soon as as the spring breaks we will be adamantly be looking for a place to live in the Boothbay area
Please pray for us that we would always be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and His direction. Please Pray for the the people of Boothbay and for their salvation and that there eyes would be opened to the many decieving doctrines that are being taught there.
Thanks and God Bless
Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment